Rice University logo

Top blue bar image The Timeline Group
A student-led group project from HIST 246

Blog Post #11

This week I was assigned with looking up and recording dates from 1837 to 1867.  These dates encompassed Dowlings life, the Civil War and Lincoln’s presidency.  It became fairly clear that even deciding which dates to search for became a challenge and a method of selection for how the timeline was to be presented.  Although relevant dates about Lincoln and the Union were fresh and obvious in my mind, those for the Confederacy were not and it became somewhat difficult to decide which dates would serve as a fair counterpoint to dates about the Union.

I also set up a temporary spreadsheet for our dates.  This spreadsheet contains a chronological list of the dates that we came up with as well as links to some of the documents that we thought were important.  By using this spreadsheet we can look at all of the dates we found, including the ones we determined to be unimportant, and can also bring dates back that do not make it on the main spreadsheet.  Articles that seem important will be attached to the relevant important date and provide context for what was going on during that time.  Moving forward my next step is to further research dates that I found as well as find dates regarding the Confederacy and Irish immigrant history.

One Response to “Blog Post #11”

1. Dr. McDaniel says:

Can you provide me with the link to your spreadsheet? I may be able to help. The Manning and Levine books may also be useful in coming up with dates from the war.